Crochet Ribbed Scarf. It’s like knitting, only better!

December 1, 2010 by admin

crochet-scarf-7

Knitted scarves are beautifully and soft, but they take FOREVER to make (to a crocheter anyway)

Crochet scarves are often kinda ugly and kinda stiff; crochet is more dense than knitting, and doesnt have the nice soft drape.

That is, Until now! I experimented with a lot of stitches to find one that would LOOK nice (on BOTH sides of the piece, who wants a one-sided scarf?), would FEEL nice (not too dense, and with smooth stitches that glide across skin as knitting does), AND that wouldn’t take too long to make.

There were a few stitches that fit one or two of those categories; there is a single crochet ribbing technique that has a nice look and feel, but single crocheting an entire scarf takes awhile. Tunisian stitches are very soft and beautiful on one side, but they are also very dense and stiff, and the backside is very messy. Working in the back or front post of half double crochet or double crochet stitches can also create some nice ribbing, but it is also a bit dense.

What I finally settled on is this beautiful variation of a half double crochet stitch. I absolutely LOVE the look and feel of these scarves. And the stitch is SO EASY!

What this half double crochet variation does is allow the top of the crochet stitch, which looks like a line of knitting, to appear on the work:

crochet-scarf-6

Normally the top of the stitch is covered up by the next row of stitches, but half double crochet creates an extra loop which will be used instead of the top of the stitch, so the top of the stitch can become a pretty ribbing. Confused? Just keep reading. It’s easy, I promise.

Here’s how it’s done:

**You will need to know how to half double crochet to make this ribbed stitch. Half Double Crochet is an easy and basic crochet stitch; if you’re not sure how to do it, just do a quick search online. Once you are used to working half double crochet, you are ready to make the scarf.

1. Start with a row of half double crochet

2. The following rows will also all be worked in half double crochet stitches, but you will insert the hook into the extra loop BELOW the gap where you would normally insert the hook.

**You won’t really see the ribbing effect until after a few rows. So don’t give up on it too soon!

Some pictures to help:

Here’s where the hook is typically inserted into your work (but this is NOT how you will do this scarf)

crochet-scarf-3

Again, the above picture show where you do NOT want to insert the hook for this ribbed stitch. The hook needs to be inserted around the loop right BELOW where you would normally insert the hook:

crochet-scarf-4

The extra loop is there because you are using a half double crochet stitch. If you were using a single or double crochet, the extra loop would not be there.

If you are wondering why there are 3 loops on the hook, the 2nd loop is just a yarn over. And if you’re wondering why the extra loops are purple…Photoshop.

Aside from inserting the hook in a different spot, the stitch is exactly like a regular half double crochet. That’s all there is to it!  Just half double crochet the entire scarf, but keep inserting the hook in the extra loop below the gap where you would normally insert the hook.

And a reminder, you won’t really see the ribbing effect until after you’ve finished a few rows. So don’t quit too early, give it a chance, this stitch is fabulous.

crochet-scarf-5

crochet-scarf-8

What pretty crochet ribbing :)

If you use the stitch, and maybe make a scarf for yourself or a loved one this winter, let me know how it worked out for you! Also, if anything is unclear, feel free to ask for some help or clarification! Thanks for reading :)

417 thoughts on “Crochet Ribbed Scarf. It’s like knitting, only better!

1. […] Ribbed Scarf-So simple.  This isn’t really a pattern, its more like a different way to do your stitches […]

2. Amy Watkins says:

I would love to make this for my husband. I am a beginner and need to know how many to chain, size hook and yarn type. Thanks

• terry says:

Hi, I started this last night and I used regular red heart super saver and a size I hook and it’s turning out really nice and just like the picture.

• terry says:

Also, when I was doing my chain I just kept wrapping it around myself to make sure it would wrap around my neck and have a little extra to hang. I didn’t count but it’s a pretty big chain.

3. linae says:

This may be a silly question, but to get the ribbing to be vertical, which it looks like in your pictures, do you have to make your first chain the full length of the scarf?

4. Yana says:

Hi, Jenn. Thanks for the lovely tutorial! How did you make the knitting-like rows on both edges of the scarf? As to my understanding, if one starts crocheting from a regular chain then there will be no such effect on one edge of the scarf, though on the picture both ends looks equally nice. Thanks.

• Crystal says:

Yana, I think you end up with 2 half double crochet rows between each ribbed layer (on one side). The other side will have the ribbed layer between the two half double crochet rows. You get it on both sides by turning your work. I hope that helps!

• Ashley says:

If you start your first row in the back loop of your starting chain it will give it the pretty knit look on the edge. (:

5. rena says:

I think because she did it vertically so she made chain as long as scarf’s length. You can add 3 more chain before you start new row to make such effect

6. terry says:

Thank you so much for this! I’m a knitter and a crocheter and my brother asked me for a black scarf to wear while he works and I really didn’t want to knit one because I have to work on a few other projects and this is taking me half the time as the ribbed scarf I planned on making him and it’s manly enough for him to wear.

7. Jason says:

Thank you for this. I just finished my scarf and it looks exactly like the picture (except it’s gray). When i started it was really hard to figure out where to put the needle through for the HDC stitch, but after i got through that first row it became much easier. If it had not been for those purple stitches in the picture i never would have figured it out! I also found it helped to go down a needle size (4.5). thanks again

• judy says:

I am blind but know how to crochet, so can you give me a feel of where the needle goes to make the second row.
      thank you. Judy

• admin says:

The best way I can describe it is an extra horizontal bar right below where you would normally insert the hook. You insert the hook through that extra horizontal bar, and that’s what creates the nice stitch. It’s something that would be really easy to demonstrate in person, but is hard to communicate through words unfortunately.

8. May I ask where the pattern can be found? How many chain stitches and how many rows across etc. The scarf looks very nice but surprised there is no pattern. If it is on another web site could you please send me the website address, tk.u.

9. rena says:

I completed my scarf today and i absolutely love my new scar. It looks like your pic,,but mine is magenta!!! ♡. Well priscilla, it actually not a pattern like ppl said beforre. It is about how you do tour stitch differently. How many chain and rows are according to your needs. I made mine 10 rows and 1.5 metres long, but my boyfriend ask me to make him longer one

10. Thea says:

This is brilliant! I LOVE it!! Thank you :)

11. […] trouvé le tuto sur ce site : jennozkan.com. Le point est génial : on dirait du tricot […]

12. Gene says:

Thanks – can’t wait t try this.

13. Eileen says:

Perfect manly scarf! How did you finish off the last row so it looked like the first? Thanks!

14. Beth says:

I knit and crochet. Recently took a class on tunisian crochet. I couldn’t wait to put my new skills to work. I found this pattern and was blinded by my enthusiasm to get started. After three frustrating days, then I realized that this is not a tunisian pattern! I have to say what a relief….thought I was going mad.

15. Gwen says:

I love that crocheted scarf I’m gonna make it thank you for your inspiration

16. peg says:

Quick question for anybody who has the answer. Do I chain 3 and turn at the beginning of each row? Im not sure how many to chain at the beginning of each new row. Thanks for the help. Can’t wait to make this for my brother up north♡

17. Linda says:

Hi,
    For Peg: When you do Half Double Crochet (HDC), you always chain two (2) to begin the next row.

For Jen: This is a great idea. I noted, when I made a sample, that the fabric stretches with the rib (opposite of a knitted rib) so running the rib in the long direction of your scarf is the best way for this type of piece.
    I think this un-fancy style will be fairly genderless so I can use it to use up stash yarn and then give it away wherever needed.
    Thanks!

18. Fah says:

Great instructions and photos! Thanks very much. I am crocheting a cowl, and it looks great so far.

19. loulou says:

Hello!
    Can you make us an explanative video, please!!

20. Rena stretch says:

Hi,

I started off with a very long scarf and it has got shorter, can anyone explain why, please?

21. Debbie says:

If your scarf gets shorter as you crochet, then I think you are missing the last stitch of the previous row. Maybe work a short swatch and count each stitch in each row. You should have the same number of stitch in each row.

• Rena stretch says:

Thank you Debbie, I am new to crotchet but apart from it getting shorter it is ok. I will try to do it properly.

22. Gulnaz says:

Hi, i made this scarf in red too, turned out just great! thanks so much for introducing this new technique.. :-)

23. Deb says:

I made this scarf for my son in an ecru yarn that had navy specks here and there, added fringe, and it turned out great! Then I made the same thing in a baby blue for a female friend of his, and it’s equally as nice! Truly a genderless stitch.

24. Carolyn says:

Nice pattern for a scarf, male or female. I am anxious to make one.

Thanks.

Carolyhn

25. Wendy says:

Absolutely love it! Exactly the type of effect I have been looking for. Started one today and it is turning out great so far!

26. Marcia says:

Just now am finishing this scarf in a navy color with redheart super saver for my grandson. It was sure simple and I am very pleased with how it turned out. I will probably use this pattern quite often. Thank you.

27. debbie gallo says:

I am so excited to make this scarf thank u. I love anything new and different what a brain you have … some people are just born geniuses

28. june says:

love this scarf you are very clever young lady !
    but for those that do not know ,if you do a single crochet and put the hook into the back of the stitch ,this also makes a nice rib effect it does take longer than the scarf above but its very nice

29. Jenny says:

How did you get this pattern to be double sided with red on one side and blue on the other side? As in the original picture.

30. It is different from the normal and common way of knitting a scarf. What a bright idea! Thanks for sharing! Something new, something better ;) :)

31. Laurie Fancy says:

Greetings from CANADA!! Just wanted to commend you on your tutorial. I’ve been looking for a different stitch a bit on the masculine side for men’s scarves. Thanks for the idea!

32. Yvonne says:

Hi! I’m new with crochet .. I wanted to crochet a scarf for my dad and I think this pattern looks great .. But I have a question, do I chain the length of the scarf or chain the length of the width of the scarf?

• Lori says:

Hi Yvonne ~ You would chain the length of the scarf to get the ribbing to look like the picture. Unless you wanted the ribbing the to go the short way… which some people like, too. :)

33. Yvonne says:

Love this pattern and hdc is my favorite crochet stitch. Am just finishing up a scarf (it looks great and is warm!) but as one person asked, how do you get the last row to look like the first row? I’ve tried everything but haven’t hit on it yet? Help, please!

• kaylen says:

It’s more making the first row match the last. Try a chainless foundation double crochet. Youtube has some great instructional videos.

34. Pauline says:

This makes a lovely scarf. For the English amongst us, it’s a size 4 hook, double knitting wool and a half treble stitch. Make foundation row at least the length of arms stretched wide

35. […] recently taught myself to crochet, and on my hunt for easy patterns came across this lovely scarf by Jenn Ozkan. It uses half double crochet stitches to create a ribbed pattern that looks like […]

36. antalya escort says:

Escort Bayan Artık Hayal Değil Özel hayatınızdaki en iyi kararı vermek üzeresiniz. antalya escort bayan hizmetimizden yararlanarak gündelik hayatın antalya escort ilan

37. Judy says:

Love it, love it, love it! Now can I find a hat pattern (like a beanie & a cuff that turns up) & use this design? I’m thinking it will work. What’s everyone else think?

38. Judy says:

I hope this doesn’t post twice. Love it, love it, love it! I want to find a beanie with a cuff that turns up & use this design. What do you think?L

39. kaye says:

I am also new to crochet and am a bit daunted by working lengthwise. I have tried a small swatch and it doesn’t look as effective as lengthwise.

What ply of wool and hook is used please.

I love the look of the rib. Thank you

40. Judy says:

My first scarf turned out great & I gave it to a friend. I’m on the second one, for myself, & for some reason the edges are going off at an angle. Can someone help me? What am I doing wrong?

41. Judy says:

If I do come up with a beanie pattern that I could adopt your pattern too, would you give me permission to crochet one to match my scarf?

• admin says:

Of course! If you create a beanie to match, the hat pattern is all yours! I didn’t invent the stitch used in the scarf, I found it in an old afghan book and discovered it was a perfect stitch for scarves. Even if I had invented the stitch, there’s no stopping others from adapting it for their own patterns, we all have to learn from each other and build off of each others’ work :)

42. Katie says:

You can get better drape in crochet scarves by using a bigger hook, too. The stiffness of the fabric depends on the density, and density can be changed by upping the hook size.

43. Roberta says:

Can’t wait to try this stitch.

44. Sue says:

This stitch is incredible! Thank you so much for sharing it with all of us. HDC is my very favorite stitch and I’ve made several scarves using it and have created a rib of sorts by crocheting in the back loop. This gives it a much more defined rib and I just love it! Not sure how often you check these replies, but was wondering if you might email me as I have a pattern I’d like to share with you because I don’t have a website. it’s a pattern that’s awesome for beginners. If you like it well enough, please feel free to add it to your collection and perhaps share it here. Thanks in advance…