Crochet Ribbed Scarf. It’s like knitting, only better!

December 1, 2010 by Jenn

crochet-scarf-7

Knitted scarves are beautiful and soft, but they take FOREVER to make (to a crocheter anyway). Crochet scarves are often kinda awkward and stiff; crochet is more dense than knitting, and doesn’t have the same softness and drape. So started my quest to find the perfect way to crochet a scarf.

I experimented with a lot of stitches to find one that would look nice (on both sides of the piece, because who wants a one-sided scarf?), would feel nice (not too dense, and with soft and smooth stitches), and that wouldn’t take too long to make.

There were a few stitches that fit one or two of those categories; there is a single crochet ribbing technique that has a nice look and feel, but single crocheting an entire scarf can take awhile. Tunisian stitches are very soft and beautiful on one side, but they are also very dense and stiff, and the backside is very messy.

What I finally settled on is this beautiful variation of a half double crochet stitch. I love the look and feel of scarves made using this stitch. And the stitch is super fun and easy! What this half double crochet variation does is allow the top of the crochet stitch , which looks like a line of knitting, to appear as ribs of the scarf:

crochet-scarf-6

Here’s how it’s done:

1. Start with a row of half double crochet (hdc).

2. The following rows will all be worked in the hdc variation. The only difference between a normal hdc and this variation is in where you insert your hook. Hdc stitches create an extra horizontal bar below the ‘V’ where you would normally insert your hook. For this hdc variation, you will insert the hook around that horizontal bar instead of through the V. See below for pictures and more explanation.

Some pictures to help:

Here’s where the hook is typically inserted into your work (but this is NOT how you will do this scarf).

crochet-scarf-3

And here is where you put your scarf for this hdc variation. Insert the hook through the horizontal bar below the V where you would normally push your hook through. I’ve highlighted the horizontal bars in purple:

crochet-scarf-4

Aside from inserting the hook in a different spot, the stitch is exactly like a regular half double crochet. That’s all there is to it!  Just half double crochet the entire piece, but keep inserting the hook into the horizontal bar below the V where you would normally insert the hook.

**You won’t really see the ribbing effect until after a few rows. So don’t give up on it too soon!

crochet-scarf-5

crochet-scarf-8

What pretty crochet ribbing :) I love using this stitch for scarves, but it’s also beautiful for blankets. I’m sure there are other applications as well, play around with it and let me know what you come up with! Also, if anything is unclear, feel free to ask for some help or clarification. Thanks for reading :)

Your email address will not be published.

482 thoughts on “Crochet Ribbed Scarf. It’s like knitting, only better!

1. Kathy says:

If you can, please, please tell me where to find this pattern or email it to me. I absolutely love this ribbing!

• Jenn says:

Hi Kathy, there’s actually no ‘pattern’ per se. After experimenting with different stitches, I found this one which I love, and I make scarves of different sizes with it. My only rule of thumb is to use a smaller hook than normal because I think this stitch looks better with snug stitches. The rest is up to your preference – which length and width you want. I often start with a chain that is a few inches longer than the length of my arms stretched out. That usually works well. You can also look through the comments. Many people have asked the same question as you, and others have responded with stitch counts they used for their scarves. I would like to put together an actual pattern, but for now it’s just this stitch tutorial. Hope that’s at least a little helpful :)

2. pam says:

how do I get the instructions? I really like this pattern. I’m a beginner.

3. Alice says:

I’m thinking I’ll do this using all my left over yarns,colorful,novelty,etc,ext.

4. Elaine says:

Love this design! I’m a beginner and was looking for a simple scarf to crochet for my husband. There’s a great tutorial on how to do the half double crochet foundation chain here and then the rest of the pattern makes sense!
    http://www.mooglyblog.com/foundation-half-double-crochet/ (and tutorials on just about everything else you need to get started).

5. […] you want. I used the Crochet Ribbed Scarf pattern by Jenn Ozkan. You can find the instructions here. I made mine using Bernat Satin yarn in Admiral (blue) and Bordeaux (red), alternating them ever […]

6. Diann says:

I use this stitch to make hats as well as many other things. I love this stitch.

7. Diann says:

I used this stitch to make hats which turn out very nice. I love this stitch for different things.

8. La Dell says:

I did it! It IS easy, and it’s just like she showed in the pics!!!!! I did a sample with bright yellow yarn and a size 8mm hook. I also did Hdc no chain foundation. Your first crochet row starts out with the stitch. Look at the pic closely. See where you would normally put your hook for the “usual” hdc? Make believe you are going to insert your hook there but stop yourself……Now look down right under your hook, right under the stitch your are ready to go into. There is a little “line” of yarn laying there. THAT is what you insert your hook into and make the hdc stitch. Go to the next stitch. Look at where you would put your hook normally……stop!! look straight down under those loops. There is the little line of yarn…..put your hook under that line and make a hdc crochet! Look closely again at the pics. See the purple little line under the cream stitch? Thats it!!! THAT’S where you insert your hook!!! just like the hook in the picture!!! I am an almost beginning crocheter. I have made simple dishcloths, and dog blankies for the shelter and rescue dogs. This tutorial is just fine, well done in fact…..you just have to think about it first. I would probably use an I (5.5mm) or J(6mm) hook. Next I’m going to try it holding two strands of yarn together. I’m coming to this post late, and no one will probably ever see it, but the directions ARE clear and EASY and I am GRATEFUL for the sharing of the pattern!!!!!

9. Nina says:

I’m so glad I found your tutorial for this scarf! The ribbing comes out sooooooooo much nicer than just going into the back stitch, and the directions were very easy to follow! Even though spring/summer is right around the corner I will definitely be making another scarf very, very soon! Thank you so much for sharing!

10. Will you send me the whole instructions, I will send this to my daughter and granddaughter. Thank you.

11. Neeta Maharaj says:

Could I have instruction please….
    Thanks

12. Ana says:

I use half dc to make infinity scarfs using Lion Hometown Chunky yarn which has a beautiful drape when finished. I make the scarf like you would a regular scarf (ch 90 -100) then twist once and bind the ends together. Looks great!

13. Linda says:

I just finished my scarf and it looks great. I used some Hobby Lobby yarn called Aurora Borealis, which has lots of colors. I am just learning to crochet, and I always have trouble on my first row into the chain – it wants to twist and I lose track of where I’m supposed to put the hook, but once I got that row finished, it was super easy! Thanks for the instructions. Here’s a link to a photo. http://www.justwant2knit.blogspot.com

14. Lisa says:

The instructions were just fine. Thank you for the free pattern. It’s exactly what I needed!

15. This looks great. I have made infinity scarves using spiral technique and they looked great, but I think I like this look better. I’ve also found that doing my first row after the foundation chain in the back “bump” is really pretty too but quite time-consuming! Thanks for sharing this, and I think the instructions were perfectly clear and this is my next project.

Anne

16. jj says:

Could you convert this pattern into an infinity scarf or cowl?

17. Debbie Jean says:

Boy! It would be nice if you actually listed the instructions instead of everyone trying to guess it!! The above instructions is not very good!

18. christine says:

IS THIS SOMETHING THAT CAN BE WORN BY MEN? I HAVE LOOKED ALL OVER AND ONLY FOUND ONE PATTERN FOR A CROCHETED INFINITY SCARF FOR A MAN. I AM ON A BORROWED COMPUTER SO IF YOU COULD PLEASE EMAIL ME I WOULD APPRECIATE IT. THANK YOU SO MUCH