Crochet Ribbed Scarf. It’s like knitting, only better!

December 1, 2010 by admin

crochet-scarf-7

Knitted scarves are beautifully and soft, but they take FOREVER to make (to a crocheter anyway) Crochet scarves are often kinda ugly and kinda stiff; crochet is more dense than knitting, and doesnt have the nice soft drape. That is, Until now! I experimented with a lot of stitches to find one that would LOOK nice (on BOTH sides of the piece, who wants a one-sided scarf?), would FEEL nice (not too dense, and with smooth stitches that glide across skin as knitting does), AND that wouldn’t take too long to make. There were a few stitches that fit one or two of those categories; there is a single crochet ribbing technique that has a nice look and feel, but single crocheting an entire scarf takes awhile. Tunisian stitches are very soft and beautiful on one side, but they are also very dense and stiff, and the backside is very messy. Working in the back or front post of half double crochet or double crochet stitches can also create some nice ribbing, but it is also a bit dense. What I finally settled on is this beautiful variation of a half double crochet stitch. I absolutely LOVE the look and feel of these scarves. And the stitch is SO EASY! What this half double crochet variation does is allow the top of the crochet stitch, which looks like a line of knitting, to appear on the work:

crochet-scarf-6

Normally the top of the stitch is covered up by the next row of stitches, but half double crochet creates an extra loop which will be used instead of the top of the stitch, so the top of the stitch can become a pretty ribbing. Confused? Just keep reading. It’s easy, I promise. Here’s how it’s done: **You will need to know how to half double crochet to make this ribbed stitch. Half Double Crochet is an easy and basic crochet stitch; if you’re not sure how to do it, just do a quick search online. Once you are used to working half double crochet, you are ready to make the scarf. 1. Start with a row of half double crochet 2. The following rows will also all be worked in half double crochet stitches, but you will insert the hook into the extra loop BELOW the gap where you would normally insert the hook. **You won’t really see the ribbing effect until after a few rows. So don’t give up on it too soon! Some pictures to help: Here’s where the hook is typically inserted into your work (but this is NOT how you will do this scarf)

crochet-scarf-3

Again, the above picture show where you do NOT want to insert the hook for this ribbed stitch. The hook needs to be inserted around the loop right BELOW where you would normally insert the hook:

crochet-scarf-4

The extra loop is there because you are using a half double crochet stitch. If you were using a single or double crochet, the extra loop would not be there. If you are wondering why there are 3 loops on the hook, the 2nd loop is just a yarn over. And if you’re wondering why the extra loops are purple…Photoshop. Aside from inserting the hook in a different spot, the stitch is exactly like a regular half double crochet. That’s all there is to it!  Just half double crochet the entire scarf, but keep inserting the hook in the extra loop below the gap where you would normally insert the hook. And a reminder, you won’t really see the ribbing effect until after you’ve finished a few rows. So don’t quit too early, give it a chance, this stitch is fabulous. crochet-scarf-5 crochet-scarf-8 What pretty crochet ribbing :) If you use the stitch, and maybe make a scarf for yourself or a loved one this winter, let me know how it worked out for you! Also, if anything is unclear, feel free to ask for some help or clarification! Thanks for reading :)

449 thoughts on “Crochet Ribbed Scarf. It’s like knitting, only better!

1. IC Strategy says:

Thank you, I’ve recntly been searching for information approximately this subject for ages and yours is the greatest I’ve came upon till now.
    However, what in regards to the bottom line? Are you sure about thhe source?

Here iis mmy blog; IC Strategy

2. Sabra says:

Wow!! Just what I was looking for. I am going to give this a try today. Thank you so!!! much. :)

3. Janette says:

I’m wondering how to start this. I’ve made one already but I came back to this site to remind myself what to do after I’ve chained 5 feet. The second row, what do you do? I know from that point on, but the second row is blocked from my memory for some reason. Thanks in advance!

• Jennifer Daniel says:

I crocheted a 5 ft chain, then I hdc into the 2nd chain from the hook, and all the way to the end. After I added 1 chain loop, and then turned. I began to now Hdc into the area that’s been told for the pattern. I continue to do this until my desired width. At the end/last row, I add regular hdc all the way across. I end my piece, and weave in all my ends. I added tassels/6 of them equally at the ends to finish it. The scarf came out beautifully. Thank you to the pattern sharer. I just love sharing patterns and working patterns out.

4. Stephanie says:

How much yarn does it take to make this? Thank you for sharing!!!!!

5. Anita Marovac says:

Seems to be just what I was looking for.

Do you have an actual pattern…number of stitches, amount,of yarn, etc.?

6. Denise says:

Jenn: love this pattern, I have made several swatches up to figure it out. Please tell me do you hdc through the end chain ? Mine does not look as your end does. This has the look of ribbing but not huge stretch correct?

7. Beverly says:

I just mastered how to do the foundation HDC and searched for HDC patterns, this pattern is perfect, thank you so much for sharing it. The foundation HDC gave me the first Row and it looks great. THANKS again for the pattern and pictures of how to make the ribbed look.

8. trish says:

Is there a pattern to follow or you just showing how to do the stitch and I come up with my own pattern. I haven’t been doing this very long. I really like this scarf after searching the web for hours !

9. F Arthur says:

My scarf tends to curl around itself instead of lying flat any suggestions. I love the pattern and how quickly it goes.

• Lindsey says:

Try checking your guage, my work often curled as a beginner and it was usually because my guage had changed. I started checking my guage frequently until my stitches became more consistent.

10. […] of a cowl on my poncho, I picked up all 80 stitches that I had started with, using sc’s. A ribbed look was what I was after, so I turned my work after every round of 80 sc’s and of course […]

11. marilyn says:

how do I print this, right now I don’t have a computer.

12. Joan says:

This pattern is exactly what I was looking for but I’m a little confused. Do I make a chain as long as I want my scarf, then start with the half crochet? Then crohet how-ever-many rows until it is the width I want??

Thanks!

• Gale says:

Joan, that’s what I honk after reading her instructions a few times. Its a beautiful scarf but, for real beginners, a little short on instructions! Very grateful for her sharing it, however.

13. Anonymous says:

Thanks for stitch:)

14. Zoey says:

Hi I have been following your instructions on crocheting this scarf. However, my scarf turns out that the ribbing v part of the scarf keep turning downwards instead of facing upwards like in your photos. Do you know if I am doing something wrong? Please help. Thank you!

15. Marcia says:

can I get the pattern for the ribbed scarf. Yours scarf is beautiful. thanks

16. Anonymous says:

Not very good instructions! But a nice scarf!