Crochet Ribbed Scarf. It’s like knitting, only better!

December 1, 2010 by Jenn

Knitted scarves are beautiful and soft, but they take FOREVER to make (to a crocheter anyway). Crochet scarves are often kinda awkward and stiff; crochet is more dense than knitting, and doesn’t have the same softness and drape. So started my quest to find the perfect way to crochet a scarf.

I experimented with a lot of stitches to find one that would look nice (on both sides of the piece, because who wants a one-sided scarf?), would feel nice (not too dense, and with soft and smooth stitches), and that wouldn’t take too long to make.

There were a few stitches that fit one or two of those categories; there is a single crochet ribbing technique that has a nice look and feel, but single crocheting an entire scarf can take awhile. Tunisian stitches are very soft and beautiful on one side, but they are also very dense and stiff, and the backside is very messy.

What I finally settled on is this beautiful variation of a half double crochet stitch. I love the look and feel of scarves made using this stitch. And the stitch is super fun and easy! What this half double crochet variation does is allow the top of the crochet stitch , which looks like a line of knitting, to appear as ribs of the scarf:

Here’s how it’s done:

1. Start with a row of half double crochet (hdc).

2. The following rows will all be worked in the hdc variation. The only difference between a normal hdc and this variation is in where you insert your hook. Hdc stitches create an extra horizontal bar below the ‘V’ where you would normally insert your hook. For this hdc variation, you will insert the hook around that horizontal bar instead of through the V. See below for pictures and more explanation.

Some pictures to help:

Here’s where the hook is typically inserted into your work (but this is NOT how you will do this scarf).

And here is where you put your scarf for this hdc variation. Insert the hook through the horizontal bar below the V where you would normally push your hook through. I’ve highlighted the horizontal bars in purple:

Aside from inserting the hook in a different spot, the stitch is exactly like a regular half double crochet. That’s all there is to it!  Just half double crochet the entire piece, but keep inserting the hook into the horizontal bar below the V where you would normally insert the hook.

**You won’t really see the ribbing effect until after a few rows. So don’t give up on it too soon!

What pretty crochet ribbing :) I love using this stitch for scarves, but it’s also beautiful for blankets. I’m sure there are other applications as well, play around with it and let me know what you come up with! Also, if anything is unclear, feel free to ask for some help or clarification. Thanks for reading :)

Your email address will not be published.

508 thoughts on “Crochet Ribbed Scarf. It’s like knitting, only better!

1. Jan says:

I must not be doing this correctly. I’m struggling pulling the hook through the second stitch. I have to stop and widen the stitch. Takes too long to do one hdc. Suggestions?

2. Regina Lind says:

How many hdc to make what size scarf?

3. Darlene says:

I love this idea for a knit look from crochet. I definitely will have to try this. Thank you for the pattern

4. Susan Smith says:

Do you have a hat pattern to match this great scarf?

5. Sylvia DSouza says:

The world is so gifted. But what makes it more special , is, that people share their ideas and projects because of their generosity and kindness. Thank you so much. May you get mor ideas

6. Dee says:

Is there an actual pattern for this? It looks great I want to make one for my granddaughter.

7. Bonnie Brown says:

How many chains to start, type of wool don’t like too bulky crochet hook size

8. Bonnie Brown says:

9. […] point qui pourrait ressembler au point jersey réversible. J’ai finalement trouvé sur le site de Jenn Ozkan. Il s’agit en fait d’une demi-bride modifiée un peu qui donne l’aspect du point jersey au […]

10. Nancy Giles says:

Granddaughter saw ready made blankets in store made with bulky yarn. Trying to copy pattern which looks like knitting (which I don’t do). Yours looks much like picture she took. Want to do for Christmas. Want to make about 6′ x 3.5′. Not sure how much yarn to purchase doing half double crochet with ribbing??

11. Delores says:

howmany chains to start scarf?

• Chiquita says:

Did you find out how many chains to start?

• tanya says:

I’ve been making scarves in this manner this season and in different stitches too. I’ve found that for HDC a foundation chain of 205 / 210 gives a good couple ties around the neck and still leave nice crochet hanging down. But I like to make mine just about 5″ wide so folks don’t drown in bulk. I now Only use vertical stitching for scarves because of how pliable for a hand made look instead of a home made look. Oh, you’ve got to try Lion Brand Unique yarn in Garden. Beautiful stripes, no changing colors. Knitting Warehouse on line sells it under $4 and lots of stock too.

• tanya says:

Oh, The Lion Brand Unique yarn is a #5 bulky @ 109 yds. It took 2 + a smidge of a third skein for my scarf. The yarn is a dream to work with too. I actually used a 6.5 hook with loosish stitches.

12. Ana Lemus says:

soo beautiful ❤️❤️

13. marcey says:

Can u do this in bulky yarn I have tried patterns for bulky and I really don’t think they all that nice so yours looks nice so since I have bulky yarn (alot)I just thought I wouldask